Greetings from the Ignite Seattle team and welcome to our latest year as a civilization on this planet. It’s been a rough ride for sure but we are happy you are here.
We’ve been staying safe, wise and patient, waiting until it’s safe to do live events again (which we know will happen). But we miss you and hope you miss us, and we wanted to give you a warm hello as we roll into 2021.
Watch: Re-Ignite Seattle 2020
Last fall we did a new style of event, of particular interest if you want to learn more about storytelling craft and the behind the scenes view of how Ignite Seattle works.
Hosted by organizers Sumit Basu and Zac Cohn, watch some great talks and listen to our hosts’ expert commentary. You can also see the chat room in (recorded) real-time, with many alumni and organizers joining in with comments.
You can watch it here.
Get your live storytelling fix
We’re wisely waiting the pandemic out for our next major event – but many other local groups have been charging ahead. If you miss live local storytelling, check these events out:
- Fresh Ground Stories: stories of people who had your back, Thurs Jan. 21 7pm PST – This longstanding Seattle event does monthly open-mic style short form storytelling on a theme, live with no slides. Free and open to all.
- Unexpected Productions – One of the oldest improv groups in Seattle, they offer a mix of live performances and classes weekly. They’re a great organization and can use your support this year. And improv is a fun way to improve your speaking skills (approved by former emcees and improv students Scott Berkun and Nicole Steinbok).
- Under the Rainbow: Storytelling for LGBTQ+ – Mon January 11th, 6pm PST. this bi-monthly event for teens and adults is open-mic. LGBTQIA+ tellers are prioritized; allies are welcome in the audience. No one is obligated to tell a story.
- Class: Creating Stageworthy Stories Workshop, taught by Kent Whipple (of Unexpected Productions, an Ignite friend and one of our speaker coaches). This 6 class online workshop is a fantastic way to get direct coaching from one of the best coaches you will find – a great way to grow your storytelling skills. $200 for 6 classes, starting Sunday, Jan. 10th 3-5pm PST (and weekly thereafter).
Favorite talks that will make you smile
We asked the team for a fun talk to recommend to you and here’s our list from Tyler, Zac and Nicole:
- Confessions of An International Smuggler, Angela Barrus
- Lessons From a Billboard, Willie Weir
- A Transgender Band Walks Into A Rural Olympic Peninsula Bar, Ginger Chen
- Commutapult, Mark Selander
That should give you a solid boost of fun, creative and inspiring storytelling to get you through the week.
Stay well and stay safe,
The Ignite Seattle Organizing Team
P.S. we don’t know when the next in-person Ignite Seattle event will be held however you can submit an idea whenever inspiration sparks.
P.S.S If you have an idea for something we should do before live events return, get in touch.