At the last Ignite KUOW 94.9 (our local NPR station) recorded the evening. They’re broadcasting tonight. You can tune in listen from the comfort of wherever you listen to radio things.
Our friends at Town Hall have a special offer for the Ignite Community. Tickets are 50% off for a great talk by one of the most controversal figures in intellectual circles today: Nassim Nicholas Taleb. He’s in town promoting his new book AntiFragile. He’s the author of the bestsellers The Black Swan and Fooled By Randomness. If you’ve read his books, which I have, he is sure to entertain, as his sizable ego and intellect take no prisoners in his critiques of politicians, executives, enemies and our species at large.
When: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 7:30 – 9:00pm
To get your special Ignite discount, buy tickets and use the code: ignite on the checkout screen (4 tickets max at discount).
Here’s more about the lecture:
Called “the hottest thinker in the world” byThe Sunday Times of London, the always-provocative (and often-hilarious) Nassim Nicholas Taleb outlines the fragile world we live in—and how and why we should become more “antifragile.” What Taleb calls the antifragile actually benefits from shocks and stressors (just as human bones get stronger when subjected to stress and tension); this, he says, makes uncertainty not only desirable, but necessary. Posing a revolutionary message (“There is no stability without volatility, and what is not antifragile will perish.”), the author of The Black Swan and the new Antifragile explains how we can gain from disorder and chaos while being protected from fragilities and adverse events. Presented by Town Hall and University Book Store as part of The Seattle Science Lectures, sponsored by Microsoft. Series media sponsorship provided by KPLU.
Advance tickets are $5 at www.townhallseattle.org or 888/377-4510 and at the door beginning at 6:30 pm. Downstairs at Town Hall; enter on Seneca Street.
This Thursday (11/8) at 6:30pm is Ignite 18 – we’re thrilled to bring you another great show. If you’ve never been before, or have missed a few, this is a great one to come check out.
Here are ten amazing reasons to come to Ignite 18:
- We are at Town Hall, an awesome new venue with a fantastic bar (cash)
- Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn will be a speaker (and yes, he’ll be in the Ignite format)
- It will be livestreamed, so the back of your head might end up being broadcast around the world!
- If you’re a healthy cheapskate, we’ll teach you how to build your own standing desk
- CommonCraft founder Lee Leefver will teach you how to explain things
- Dr. Shelly Farnham will share why you should hate Facebook
- Alex Alviar will explain why being deaf is a SUPERPOWER
- Learn about life from a SURVIVOR of the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting
- It’s our 18th ignite, a number cleanly divisible by 6, 3, or 9! WOOT!
- Shauna Casey, VP of Decide, will confront her fear of public speaking LIVE
- There will be 8 more amazing talks that will blow your mind
- If you come early you will play an interactive game that will make you love your life
- We’re so excited we forgot how to count
- We promise not to say the words: election, ballot, pundit or poll
You will hate yourself if you don’t come. Go here to buy tickets.
Doors open at 6:30pm. Talks start at 8:00pm.